[OZAPRS] OZAPRS Digest, Vol 24, Issue 19

Steve Wright steve at meshnetworks.co.nz
Sun Jul 10 08:38:11 EST 2011

On Sun, 2011-07-10 at 08:13 +1000, ozaprs-request at aprs.net.au wrote:
[snip]
> On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Ray Wells <vk2tv at exemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Why do you say xastir is not the best way? If a a map display is not
> > required I could be inclined to agree with you but otherwise I cannot.
> > Xastir works just fine as an Igate, supporting multiple port and, it is
> > actively supported. I'm curious to know why you tink the way you do.

There is also the situation where Xastir runs on an X display, and if
there are any O/S or Desktop "issues" then Xastir will fall over when
the user logs out.

Better to run "server" stuff in the background where it belongs, and run
"Desktop" user apps over top where they can be unplugged without scaring
the rest of the farmyard.

Steve