[OZAPRS] Igate

Carl Makin carl at stagecraft.cx
Sat Jul 9 19:55:52 EST 2011

Hi Ray,

On 09/07/2011, at 7:20 PM, Ray Wells wrote:

> Why do you say xastir is not the best way? If a a map display is not required I could be inclined to agree with you but otherwise I cannot. Xastir works just fine as an Igate, supporting multiple port and, it is actively supported. I'm curious to know why you tink the way you do.

The IGating features in Xastir are reasonably basic and not the primary focus of the program.  I'm a fan of Xastir but if you want to run a full time Igate then one of the dedicated apps would be more reliable and more configurable.

If you want to just run as a backup or as a part time gate then Xastir would be fine.  The only limitation with Xastir (which I think is actually a feature) is by default it will only gate APRS messages and ack/nak's to RF.  To do anything else you have to fiddle with the nws-stations.txt file

Carl.
(vk1kcm)