[OZAPRS] More testing of a home brew HF APRS transmitter

Peter Schrader lists at rumpleteazer.net
Wed Jul 6 09:23:43 EST 2011

Sorry to bother you all again, but I am determined to get this right.

With thanks to Gerard re dial frequencies when using AGWPE, I have
retuned the transmitter a fair bit lower today.  In theory non-SCS-DSP
TNCs should able to decode the beacons.

I'd appreciate the iGate operators to take a look at their logs tonight
and let me know if my beacons were heard.

So far today Peter's gate (VK3TBN) and Gerard's gate (VK2IO) have gated
the beacons to the APRS-IS, which makes me believe I got it right.
Larry's (VK5LY) gate is still decoding them, those SCS TNCs sure are
tolerant!

30m still amazes me, the antenna at home is a homebrew terminated folded
dipole running across a metal roof (effective height above ground no
more than 3 metres), with 15W into a lossy antenna I still make it into
VK2, VK3 and VK5 from Brisbane.  Looking forward to seeing how well it
works when I head off into Northern SA in August.

73,
Peter
VK4EA-15

P.S. most importantly, thanks to the HF iGate operators for providing
their equipment and time.  I really appreciate it.