[OZAPRS] QRG drift HF APRS

Larry larrykin at internode.on.net
Sat Jul 2 09:45:09 EST 2011

Hi Ray

You wrote

> I think we need to decide on a reference (net) station that is on
> frequency and from that known reference, every station would be able to
> use a waterfall display to net to the reference station. Those simple
> steps would eliminate most of the frequency error related problems. In
> fact, if one station was the standard, every other station could, by using
> a waterfall display, become a pseudo sub-standard - a bit like calibrating
> meters.

The Aus/NZ net stations are already listed at:

http://www.aprs.net.au/hf/hf-net-stations

If everyone took the time to net to these stations then any discussion about
frequency and drift etc is academic.  After all this is why the net stations
were established.  The other discussion about the relative accuracy of
particular TNCs etc is pointless - I for one have no trouble in netting my
Igate to VK3MY and leaving it at that - if everyone was on the same page
then no problem!!

FWIW I do use a DSP TNC on 30m (is handy to capture those off frequency
sigs) but a soundcard TNC on 40m. Both transceivers are Codan 8528 which are
rugged and stable - and yes I do calibrate them from time to time against a
lab standard HP frequency counter. I do not claim any degree of accuracy
however in terms of actual or supposed carrier frequency - I do not seem to
have any difficulty in getting heard or hearing others!

Cheers

Larry vk5ly