[OZAPRS] QRG drift HF APRS

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sat Jul 2 08:35:06 EST 2011

Mike,

A query re the figures shown at http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=vk6uz-4

VK3MY-4 is shown with a figure of +78 which suggests he is higher in
frequency than a station shown as +50, for example.

How can this be so when VK3MY-4 is clearly displayed in a waterfall
display as being lower in frequency than almost every other station and
other contributors to this forum have made the same observation?

I know the figures are relative but that relativity suggests that, given
the number of stations shown as +50, those stations are on the correct
frequency and VK6UZ-4 is not.

I think we need to decide on a reference (net) station that is on
frequency and from that known reference, every station would be able to
use a waterfall display to net to the reference station. Those simple
steps would eliminate most of the frequency error related problems. In
fact, if one station was the standard, every other station could, by
using a waterfall display, become a pseudo sub-standard - a bit like
calibrating meters.

How many applications are out there with a waterfall display?

For Windoze I know of Digipan and WinMX and,
for Linux there is fldigi

There may be more applications for both operating systems but since I
haven't used Windoze for most things for some years I wouldn't know and
in Linux I've found something that does the job so why look any further?

Ray vk2tv