[OZAPRS] HF frequency drift reports ...?

Gerard Hill vk2io at amsat.org
Fri Jul 1 00:25:31 EST 2011

On 30/06/2011 7:31 PM, OE3MZC Mike wrote:
> However it would be much easier for mobiles if more I-Gates would have
> 800Hz"wide band" receive capabilities...10times better.
> I think there is not just the SCS DSP-TNC that can do this, but also some
> software for soundcard from G4hyg
> http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/aprs_messenger.htm
> but I am not sure...

After becoming interested in QRP APRS on HF I started running the APRS
Messenger software. It allows operation using some more efficient modes
than regular HF APRS. It also provides a variety of different speeds
from 63 bits/s to 250 bits/s. The receiver is frequency agile and
decodes all 8 supported modes simultaneously within a range of ± 100 Hz.
The actual mode only needs to be set for transmit - I normally use
GMSK250. GMSK is Gaussian Minimum-Shift Keying - the mode used in GSM
mobile phones. It works at a much lower signal to noise ratio than
frequency-shift keying. There is also PSK and QPSK. Anyone who has tried
PSK31 will know how well it works with weak signals. Now apply that to
packet radio...

There are IGates operating on 10.1497 MHz and 7.0347 MHz (carrier), very
close to the FSK300 frequencies. In fact the same transceiver can be
used to service FSK and GMSK/PSK/QPSK. Unfortunately Mike, the beaut
decoder in APRS Messenger does not decode FSK300 packet as one of the 8
modes.

Just about any PC can be used to run APRS Messenger, even a Netbook. A
regular sound card is used to connect to the transceiver. It talks
directly to the APRS-IS and can interface to UI-View or APRSISCE
software if you need it to. There is not yet a TinyTrak or OpenTracker
implementation, so for mobile use the only option at the moment is to
run it on a small PC.

APRS Messenger provides some exciting new modes that have not seen a lot
of activity yet so look out for the stations using -63 and give it a go!
http://aprs.fi/info/?call=*-63

There are some options for frequency agile FSK300 packet decoders (apart
from the Tracker DSP TNC). I haven't tried any of these and they aren't
necessarily free. They have been mentioned on the Cross Country Wireless
mailing list.
- TrueTTY  http://www.dxsoft.com/en/products/truetty
- APRS-SCS http://www.tapr.org/~kb2scs/scs01.html

Cheers ... Gerard, VK2IO