[OZAPRS] Strange APRS packets

Philip Webb pwebb at aanet.com.au
Mon Dec 26 22:48:08 EST 2011

Gentlemen,

Actually, I'm glad this subject has come up, because I have been
noticing issues for a while and not sure how to broach the subject.

Out here in the country, I often see posits going straight to tcpip only
- no problem. Occasionally I see a mixture of both, and most of the time
that is understandable. But occasionally I see things that don't make
any sense.

Neither my car nor David's is fitted with 3G mobile yet many of our trip
have posits marked as TCPIP with the original VHF path lost - short
example below.

2011-12-02 13:17:38 UTC:
VK4HPW-9>APT311,VK2RAP-3,WIDE1*,WIDE2-2,qAR,VK4HPW-1:!2801.97S/15228.01E>241/042/A=000823
2011-12-02 13:17:38 UTC:
VK4HPW-9>APT311,VK2RAP-3,WIDE1*,WIDE2-2,qAR,VK4HPW-1:>VK4HPW/Mobile
2011-12-02 13:19:38 UTC:
VK4HPW-9>APT311,TCPIP*,qAS,VK4OG-1:!2802.42S/15226.90E>238/027/A=001046
2011-12-02 13:21:37 UTC:
VK4HPW-9>APT311,TCPIP*,qAS,VK4OG-1:!2803.17S/15226.25E>239/043/A=001348

The TCPIP packets are always attributed to VK4OG and has only been
happening recently.

I also noted anomalous activity similar to David's on Saturday 24 th,
with the duplicate "position" packets and posits moving too fast - but I
won't spell out any further details except to say that the anomalous
packets are also related to VK4OG and VK4VP.
I have analysed some of the duplicate "position" packets, and they have
been repeated up to 6 minutes later than the originals and have
"WIDE1*,WIDE2-2" modified to "WIDE1,WIDE2*".

If anyone would like to have a look at the chapter and verse, please
contact me off list.

I'm just trying to help sort out a fine system which has been working
well up to now.

Tried your site Damien, but it timed out and I did get my data from aprs.fi

I hope you all have a great New Year.

73

Philip
VK4HPW