[OZAPRS] Gateway Closure

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Wed Aug 10 15:39:43 EST 2011

All,

Thank you one and all for the kind comments.

The reason I'm closing the gateway system is that I may be moving from
here in a very short space of time and I will have no facilities for
antennas once I move. My health is ok, it's just an inevitable move.

Ian, I will be hanging on to the TS430 and a 2m rig for "just in case".
My licence is up for renewal in May and I will evaluate my situation
when that draws closer.

FYI, I was licenced in 1969 as VK2ZSX. I did the morse in 1978 and
became VK2BVO. The change to VK2TV was in 1983. The call previously
belonged to a fellow member of the Central Coast ARC. I knew that Wilf's
family were not interested in AR and they sanctioned the release of the
callsign to me.

My time in AR has been quite busy. I held various positions in the
Central Coast ARC including president, newsletter editor and field day
chairman. I was actively involved in their repeater committee, the
acquisition of the Somersby repeater site, construction of the building
and installation and maintenance of the repeater equipment. I was the CC
WICEN coordinator for 20 years. Following my move to Kempsey in 1994 I
was responsible for the construction and installation of VK2RMY on Mt
Yarrahpinni. I built and installed the local UHF CB repeater and built
and installed VK2RMC at that site. I ran a BBS for 13.5 years. It
finished up with 6 radio ports. The aprs gateway has been running for
about 4 years.

AR is not out of my blood but I have other priorities that will take
precedence for a while, at least. I'd like to spend a lot more time
restoring vinyl recordings and digitising them and I'm going back
fishing after a 16 year break.

I've been a volunteer for the last 36 years and mostly for at least two
organsations simultaneously. I've just resigned from all committee
positions (president, newsletter editor and technician) at the local
community radio station, having been on-call 24/7 for the last 15 years.
For a while at least, I'm going to do a few things for me.

So there you have it, no sour grapes, just climbing a different tree for
a while.

Regards,
Ray vk2tv