[OZAPRS] Feedback on VX-8

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Wed Sep 29 13:41:03 EST 2010

Joe ..

Ive had a VX8R now a few months. I have not experienced the problems Jack
described with volume and GPS . These sound like faults.  Although the AM
receive on 500Khz to 1600Khz was deaf. I got this fixed by Yeasu under
warantee pretty quick. Stef 5HSX has a VX8R also. As a souped up tracker
with some voice capable features and general coverage RX its pretty good. I
hiked up St Marys peak with it last year.

The usablility of it with things like messaging is frustrating and the menu
system is difficult to manage to get my head around after the experiences
with a D700. I find it difficult to use and cant help comparing it to a
D700. I believe theres a updated D7 comming out but I dont know how the
features would compare with the VX8 . The big difference and downfall with
the VX8 series is the lack of ability to access the TNC directly. So to use
the radio with a APRS client the only way is to use an external TNC and
treat it like any other radio. Although there is a serial port on there its
only for programing/cloning and for the GPS which is a pity.