[OZAPRS] APRS with Foundation license

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Wed Oct 6 07:49:32 EST 2010

Daryl,

Congratulations for stepping up the ladder.

The ax25 specification set the six character limit for the callsign,
plus the SSID which is in the range 0 - 15. The v2.0 specification we
still use today emerged in 1984. I can't remember what limits, if any,
existed in the father of packet, the Vancouver Protocol or the original
V1.0 ax25 specification that displaced Vancouver. I do remember the hot
debate about which was best, Vancouver or ax25 - this was circa 1983.

I have to confess I do not know what would happen with a seven character
callsign but given that the last character ends up where the SSID is
expected, one could expect packet corruption. I'm just looking at the
v2.0 (1984) specification and the source address field is seven octets
long. The first six are for the callsign, the seventh for the SSID. For
a callsign with less than six characters, the space to the right of the
last character is padded with ASCII spaces. The dash, between the
callsign and the SSID is not mentioned but appears to be a delimiter
after the callsign. Given that the SSID field expects certain ASCII
characters and, another letter may not meet the requirement, I stand by
my assumption that packet corruption is a possibility.

In connected mode and, assuming a connection could be established, such
a frame could provoke a REJ frame from the destination station. Given
that aprs uses unconnected mode the packet would probably just head off
into the ether, never to be seen or heard again.

Perhaps someone who has delved deeper into the specification would like
to comment.

Could it be that the ACMA was aware of the six character limit for ax25
when they allocated a seven character callsign, a deliberate act to
prevent the use of ax25 by Foundation Licensees?

Ray vk2tv