[OZAPRS] APRS with Foundation license

Darryl Ross d at vk5hz.com
Wed Oct 6 00:37:15 EST 2010

I'll have to second Ray's note about thank you for asking questions
before you get on-air Andrew. Much better to understand than potentially
break the rules / law.

Using the digital modes is a good reason to upgrade. I've done the
Foundation -> Standard -> Advanced thing (in about 18 months from
starting). The first upgrade purely so I could play Packet/APRS and the
second upgrade for the 2 letter call ;)

Changing the topic slightly away from the legal side of things, isn't
the maximum length of a callsign in AX.25 6 characters? By my count,
foundation callsigns are 7 characters, and so _can't_ appear on RF anyway?

Whether the callsign is truncated to 6 characters is a separate issue
and would be classed as a bug in the particular client...

-Darryl, VK5HZ