[OZAPRS] APRS with Foundation license

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Wed Oct 6 00:01:39 EST 2010

Hi All,

Ray alluded to this in an earlier post and after talking the WIA on this
subject both for APRS & D-Star I understand the following;

The key words and definitions in this are;

1)       Intent (general legal jargon)

2)       Reasonable measures. (LCD para 11A (2) )

First the question to be asked is what Reasonable measures (actions that the
operator can be reasonably be expected to take) has the IGate operator taken
to adhere to the LCD and prevent a non-authorized transmission from his /
her station.

The answer is that he/she has implemented a Passcode system by means of the
IGate / APRS-IS software that will not allow any inadvertent non-authorized
transmission to emanate from their station.

The Passcode is considered an international standard which is used
throughout the APRS-IS network to limit inadvertent (accidental) RF access
and as such should protect the IGate owner from regulation breaches.

The Second question is; What is the intent of the person generating the
non-authorized transmission?

The answer; It could be argued that the if a non-authorized person goes to
the trouble of finding, generating then configuring a Passcode into an APRS
application then the Intent of that person is to generate an non-authorized
transmission and hence the onus is on that person, not the IGate operator.

It does not matter that the generator of the non-authorized transmission is
or is not aware of the regulations (sorry officer I didn't see the 60kmh
sign), by their actions it was the Intent of that person to generate a
transmission on the APRS network (the network consists of both APRS-IS and
RF). Hence that person is accountable for the non-authorized transmission.

For what it's worth the use of a Passcode could be interpreted that the APRS
network (both APRS-IS and RF) is a non-public transmission network carried
over a public communications network. IE a VPN or in old packet terms a
gateway tunnel. This would not however change the Intent of the person
generating the non-authorized transmission.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers

Richard

VK3JFK