[OZAPRS] APRS with Foundation license

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Tue Oct 5 19:16:47 EST 2010

Cameron,

It's not as complicated as you would have us believe. It's simple, really.

There is nothing to stop the Fxxx licensee generating IP packets.

What there is, however is a prohibition on using "an amateur station
using automatic mode or computer controlled". VoIP is not computer
controlled, it is operator controlled, using a computer and, it is not
automatic.

The LDC goes on to list modes a Fxxx licensee is permitted use, in
schedule 3A. Data is not included and, the ACMA considers packet and
aprs to be data as per their mode description on every packet and aprs
repeater licence.

I still believe that some higher authority should provide a definitive
answer, even though I believe the LCD is quite clear.

This has the Hallmark of sponsorship versus advertising as applied to
community radio stations. The ACMA even went as far as issuing
guidelines, guidelines they will apply on a case by case basis, leaving
licensees completely up in the air as to what they can or can't do.

Listen to the WIA broadcast on community radio station TankFM in
Kempsey, 103.1FM, at 6.20am each Sunday. Also streaming to the Internet
via a 160kb/s stream available at www.tankfm.org and follow the links.

Ray vk2tv