[OZAPRS] Fwd: Stolen Gear VK2XAG

Terry Neumann tfneumann at internode.on.net
Fri Nov 26 12:59:20 EST 2010

This unfortunate matter and Dave's parallel post raises one of the more
worrying aspects of this mode.

We are making the current location of our stations available to the
whole world.  We could also be advising people that we are not home -
although it wouldn't be at all wise for them to bank on it in my case.

I understand that people have abandoned APRS for these reasons.

I guess there has always been the risk that people might draw similar
conclusions just from conversations on local repeaters.   But we are
really making things easy with APRS.

I don't have the answer to this - just pointing out the seemingly obvious.

Commiserations to you both gentlemen.  I understand how you would feel.

73
Terry
VK5ATN