[OZAPRS] Ballina area pretty dead for APRS

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Nov 8 12:09:45 EST 2010

Dave/All,

First a question, just which Novocastrian Dave am I talking to? I know
it's not David Russell because he's SK.

A wish list? My supply of A band FM828's is dwindling. TNC2 compatible
TNC's are always handy for UIDigi and power supplies never go astray -
you always need n+1 but the number on hand is always n-1.

Since this morning I've done some plots at sites in Nambucca Heads and,
quite frankly, the additional coverage on the highway isn't worth the
trouble of making a phone call. I have re-plotted Mt Yarrahapinni and it
would serve as a large(ish) area digi, something I've long known, having
installed the first 2m voice repeater there yonks ago. A voice repeater
still operates from the site so some desense would be unavoidable, but
probably acceptable given the low level of activity. I would need to
talk with the voice repeater operators. I already have authority to
locate a translator there for the community radio station so there's
another "in" that I can follow up.

Regarding the guy in Grafton, it's Bob, vk2yrg. He didn't answer his
phone this morning but I'll try again later to see if I can stir up some
interest.

I see there is a digi, vk2jub-1, 16km north of Grafton that gets to the
IS via vk2rpl-3 and then vk4. If I remember correctly, the packet digi
operated by vk2yrg was on a hill to the south of Grafton so there's
probably a chance that site would also get in via vk2rpl-3. I remember
Greg vk2pyu accessing the Grafton site for mail forwarding so there is
some coverage down towards Coffs Harbour.

Stay tuned for more.

Ray vk2tv