[OZAPRS] Ballina area pretty dead for APRS

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sun Nov 7 18:11:07 EST 2010

Shaun,

It takes a lot more than some bits from junk boxes to get a reliable
digi to air.

If it only required some hardware - radio, TNC, antenna, coax and power
supply - there'd be lots more digis. Hardware is the easy part.

The difficult part about getting a digi to air is finding a site that has;
1. affordable rent at a respectable location
2. decent access to that location, both in terms of vehicular access and
no time restrictions.
3. security of installed equipment
4. power
5. building or other suitable housing

Garry, vk2uni, has access to a commercial site at the "right" price and
I'm fortunate to have vk2rmc-1 installed on private property that meets
conditions 1 to 5 above. The rent is free, the licence is not at $63
(from memory) per year. A pair of crystals for an FM828 is about $60
(for reliable crystals - read Hy-Q).

I look at an aprs map every day that is set to show from Forster to
Grafton and out to Gunnedah. I'm probably more aware than anybody else
on this list about the gaps in coverage and, there's hardly a day goes
by that I don't ponder over how I can fill them, or at least some of
them. One day, Shaun, one day.

Ray vk2tv