[OZAPRS] Smart Beaconing

vk5ex.andrew at gmail vk5ex.andrew at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 09:29:12 EST 2010

Hi David and all,

This topic certainly warrants further discussion. The parameters given on
the ozaprs website are really considered to be "safe"  parameters , setup to
provide for our normally recognized beacon rates of 2mins on VHF and 10 Mins
on HF. However as David and others have alluded to, Smart Beaconing when
setup appropriately could be of benefit. Trouble is though,  working out not
only what settings would be appropriate, but when they would be appropriate.
For example , David  traveling outback somewhere could probably travel along
relatively straight roads for many, possibly 100's of kms before making a
significant turn, so during the long straight stretches smart beaconing
could be configured so that the beacon rate is reduced significantly and
corner pegging could be tightened up a bit providing a more acurate posit of
a change in the direction of travel.  However , another scenario could be
someone who drives around a lot in side streets in the city or perhaps
through winding roads in the hills etc. . The set of smart beaconing
parameters for this person may have to be different from the first example
in order to provide some sort of channel efficiency.  So the point I'm
making is that the smart beaconing parameters probably need to be tailored
somewhat depending on the application. The fundamental point though is to
ensure that on both HF and VHF,  we don't flood these common use
frequency(s)  with too many posits. We could perhaps venture to discuss this
further. Basically as to what our maximum beacon rates should be on VHF and
HF during a specific time period rather than a set 2min 10min rate. We could
look at an additional set of recommendations, something like a recommended
maximum number of transmissions during a 1/2 hour period whilst mobile. Lets
say for arguments sake,  on VHF  20 beacons per half hour and on  HF 5
beacons per half hour whilst mobile.

Regards .. Andrew ... VK5EX