[OZAPRS] OZAPRS Digest, Vol 8, Issue 24

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Wed Mar 24 01:00:17 EST 2010

Darryl,

I am glad someone has made reference to the national web page on the TT
settings allready.

I was really tempted to try and contact Stewart again . In the last couple
of days his beacons have been excessive at times from -15 back out on 2m ..
I imagine this is his HF setup being -15 .. 3 separate beacons in less than
a minute all nicely spready apart. He is a bit the same on 2m at times also.
Perhaps its just while he was testing. Ive recently emailed Paul about some
of his frames as well. We are all learning so I just encourage all to have a
real look at what your transmiting on air and how often. Using the internet
facilities like APRS.fi and Findu is not the way to check it. Paul for
example has been transmitting a beacon quite frequently that is non APRS
compliant and gets ignored by the internet servers and all the APRS client
software like Ui-view. So it truly is just junk value (pollution).
I watch whats happening on air using programes like TSTHost for Windows and
Win-TNC . Looking at frames as they are sent and digied. Its really amazing
whats going to air. Frankly its time we had a good look at whats comming out
of the Igates as well as what our mobiles are transmitting. Simply put
things are going to be changing.

I use a D700 (no smart beaconing) when mobile with about 20w into a half
decent antenna in the metro area. I use a beacon rate of 2 mins in the metro
area as a rule. Ive been doing this for over 2 years now. The value of smart
beaconing is limited apart from it being a great way to dominate the
frequency. One area smart beaconing is good is changing the beacon rate when
stationary. Corner pegging should be outlawed ! If your hoping to track your
vehicals down to the nearest 20m in the last 10 seconds on precision maps
then APRS and 2m/HF  is not the way to do it.

Strong opionions like that aside back to your original question Darryl
regards the 16km/Hr .. I cant find any reference to 16Km/Hr anywhere on that
web page. Where are you comming from on this? I suspect herin may lie some
of the misunderstanding . Did you convert one of the values on there to
metric ?

I cant help but find the configs for these Tiny trackers are really
unhelpful when they start using units like Knots. Miles an hour is bad
enough when most of the world is metric but knots means little to most of
us.

Tony VK5AH