[OZAPRS] Advice wanted, tracking a walking person

James Cameron vk2lqz at wia.org.au
Sat Jun 12 13:44:12 EST 2010

G'day,

I'm currently tracking a walking person after the fact, using a GPS
track log.  I'd like to track also during the event.

What devices are available?  I'd prefer to have everything in the one
device; GPS receiver, tracker, and 2m beacon transmitter.  I'd prefer
not to have to build it up from parts.  It would be really nice if I can
just buy it and turn it on.  I'm already successfully receiving the
local digipeater and rendering it on Xastir.

A competing solution is an iPhone or an Android based phone ... which
have a GPS receiver and commercial digital radio transceiver.  It can be
made to just work, provided there is mobile telephone service in the
area.  Apps are available.

Also, an amateur licensing question ... which of these situations is
allowed by the LCD?  In your opinion.

1.  tracking in the presence of a standard licensee,

2.  tracking transmissions set up by a standard licensee with the
tracker carried by a foundation licensee,

3.  tracking transmissions set up by a standard licensee with the
tracker carried by an unlicensed user, "second operator",

4.  tracking transmissions set up by a standard licensee with the
tracker carried by an animal.

Also in cases 2 and 3, can the holder of the tracker initiate a
transmission?  e.g. press a button to signal something that is not an
emergency.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/