[OZAPRS] Bad HF noises in Landcruiser ??

Nic McLean mcleannb at bigpond.com
Sun Jul 11 15:37:05 EST 2010

I have found 2 huge sources of noise in landcruisers to be the alternator
and the oil pressure sender. To prove how much of the noise is oil pressure
sender temporarily disconnect the sender. I have knocked down the alternator
whine by fitting a MAR-60A in line. If you fit a 47 nF cap across the oil
pressure sender it will reduce the noise it makes and will also reduce the
oil pressure gauge reading by 10 to 20 % (I can mentally add the reduction).

Best 73's

Nic

VK2KXN / VK5ZAT

Guys,

A little OT, but perhaps you know the answer J

Got my HF setup in the vehicle installed and operational during the week -
IC706 (Original Mk1) in a 100 Series Diesel Landcruiser (No Turbo).

All working great, tunes up on all bands 80m through to 10m with zero
noise..   EXCEPT...

When the engine is running I get an awful 1-2kHz squeal in a few spots on
40m (thankfully most of the 7xx0 and 7xx5 freqs are free from this problem
and quite usable).  The problem is also there on 30m and 20m, the noise
takes out 10.147 and 14.116 - two freqs I'd like to be able to access - but
by far the worst is on 40m.

I can probably live with it on 30 and 20m (call into the travelers net
whilst pulled over for a break, and APRS can get away with degraded Rx), but
it's really annoying when tuning around on 40m whilst mobile.

Anyone with a Diesel Landcruiser 100 had/solved this issue ??

Cheers,

Geoff   VK2XJG