[OZAPRS] TNC

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sat Jan 16 06:20:01 EST 2010

Thanks, Gordon,

True DCD is really an absolute necessity for a *normal* TNC for HF.

My old TNC 220 has *software* DCD which is about as useful as a bucket
with no bottom - and it doesn't function in KISS mode! Having said that,
the software DCD on the Baycom USCC>4, four port card is brilliant.

All the MFJ1270B's (TNC2 compatible) have the State Machine and they
never miss a beat on HF or VHF.

When I originally tried HF with the TNC220 I found the radio mute had to
be so tight that I was not able to decode otherwise useful signals. YMMV.

I run unmuted audio regardless of TNC or Baycom modems, which gives a
speed advantage by not having to wait up to hundreds of milliseconds for
the rx mute to release.

Ray vk2tv