[OZAPRS] WXSVR-AU Update - NSW Bushfire info

Geoff Gatward geoff at gatwards.org
Sat Jan 2 13:02:39 EST 2010

Folks,

I am currently in the 'final' stages of testing a new addition to the
WXSVR-AU capability, which will provide current incidents from the NSW RFS
into the network.  You may start seeing these objects and zone alerts
popping up from today - however the data will not be available all the time
until the last few issues are resolved with the integration.

RFS provides a very nice RSS feed on their website that contains the
coordinates for the center of the incident as well as complete coordinates
to form polygons of the incident area itself, which they use to integrate
into Google Maps. Unfortunately this polygon data can't be used in APRS -
yet...    (Once I figure out how to build an "Area Object" from the
available data we'll see what we can integrate)

Once the RFS scripting is finished, we'll look at doing similar integrations
for the CFA and CFS, although their RSS feeds don't offer the same level of
detail as the RFS...   Anyone with contacts in CFA/CFS/FESA or any other
fire agency might suggest the geospatial content in the RSS feed to those
who can get it provided ;-)

Cheers,

Geoff  VK2XJG