[OZAPRS] Flood Sensor -> APRS

Darryl Smith Darryl at Radio-Active.Net.Au
Sat Jan 2 12:50:10 EST 2010

Silicon chip in the last couple of years had a meter for water level in
water tanks. It used two insulated wires from memory, and used the
capacitance of the water to detect the height.

If I am wrong and there was not an article, I would still use two conductors
and have these in an oscillator generating a frequency. Then have a
frequency to voltage converter. And have this go into a analogue input of an
opentracker.

I do like the idea of using floats such as those sold by Jaycar, but you
will not know if they get stuck

Darryl

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 Int] - 02 9618 6459
www.radio-active.net.au/blog/ - www.radio-active.net.au/web/tracking/

-----Original Message-----
From: ozaprs-bounces at aprs.net.au [mailto:ozaprs-bounces at aprs.net.au] On
Behalf Of Steve
Sent: Saturday, 2 January 2010 12:44 PM
To: ozaprs at aprs.net.au
Subject: Re: [OZAPRS] Flood Sensor -> APRS

Ooh, that waterwheel idea sounds good Andrew.
Hook up a small generating device (such as the
rectified/filtered/regulated output from a stepper motor), and get it to
directly power the device that is going to warn you of the flooded creek.
Maybe a small 434MHz data TX module. Some have quite some range, and can
be modulated with audio. Received on a scanner, etc.
You wouldn't need any batteries to worry about.

Steve.