[OZAPRS] Computerless iGate

terryc terryc at woa.com.au
Sun Feb 28 12:50:35 EST 2010

David and Justine Olsen wrote:
> Has anyone setup an igate without a computer? This is my next goal.
> Can anyone direct me to any web references or offer a brief outline?

Thoughs are;
By definition it is impossible, unless by "computer" you mean what
everyone knows as a desktop Pc or laptop.

Step One; shrinking it a bit; Companies like mini-box.com offer
"computers for cars". They also offer switchmode devices that connect to
a 12v battery  plug into a standard motherboard power sockets and
provide limited mother board and hard disk/device power.

Step Two: miniturisation; A few years ago, there were around a few
"matchbox" webservers. Basically a one chip computer/processor that took
input from an input (serial port, etc) and displayed it on a basic web
page.

I don't know if any survive as it is probably more cost effective for
whomever manufacturers similar stuff these days to do a more general
purpose one board computer* and sell to a wider market.

OTOH, generally easier to program now.
This url may help (just a tab bloated on shaped atm)

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/Linux-For-Devices-Articles/Single-Board-Computer-SBC-Quick-Reference-Guide/

--
Terry Collins {:-)}}}}}
Bicycles, Appropriate Technology, Natural Environment, Welding