[OZAPRS] VHF Propagation and Prediction

Alex Taverner alex.taverner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 11:35:52 EST 2010

Hi Paul,

AIS is similar in many ways to APRS (timesliced packetised data
transmission with corrdinate & status information), but there are some
fairly significant differences due to the requirement to allow
integration with GMDSS systems and use of DSC.

Wikipedia has a good entry on it
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Identification_System). Have a
look at the 'How AIS works' section which explains it quite well.

You can buy some small AIS systems for yachts and recreational craft
that use a standard marine DSC radio and there are some pretty cool
little USB based decoders available for a few hundred dollars that allow
you to see all the traffic. (One of the Sydney based hams watches all
the traffic round the harbour and publishes it on the web this way, I
think).

>From the perspective of sailing yachts, AIS is gold as it makes a small
fibreglass sailing yacht as 'big' as a bulk carrier to the commercial
traffic that normally doesn't see yachts on their radar systems.

73,

Alex VK2RZ