[OZAPRS] Why doesn't Northern Tasmania gate VK3 callsigns?

Ron Perry ronk at ncable.com.au
Sun Feb 14 21:30:57 EST 2010

Ray, I do see where you are going, however I will respond.

On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 16:50 +1100, Ray Wells wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Please consider.
>
> Given that all Igates are provided by individuals, at their own expense,
> are we (the travelling amateur) not expecting too much when we expect
> remarkable coverage without contributing financially to the set up and
> ongoing operation of these facilities?

In establishing the local Igate VK3WRM, I used my second callsign.

> As a BBS sysop for over a decade, and a current VHF, HF and Satellite
> Igate, I think I can speak for most providers of such facilities when I
> say that we enjoy providing a service and we don't expect financial
> compensation. However, users of those facilities should realise that we
> also have lives outside amateur radio and, sometimes, circumstances
> prevent provision of the service we provide. If most sysops are like me
> they hate the service being out of service, but such is often beyond our
> control.

Tony VK7AX and myself (again as VK3WRM) provided packet gateways a long
time ago, and I certainly do appreciate the time and effort put into
providing services. I suspect Tony as I do, realise it's a mostly
thankless task.
As I said in a previous post, I arranged for a temporary Igate for when
I was away, to maintain the service to AR in this area. I've no idea if
anyone other than the locals travelled through the area in that time,
but it was there if it was needed.

> I can't speak for VK7 but in my corner of VK2 I was aprs for a long
> time, being the northern-most aprs station in this state. My local digi,
> vk2rmc-1 (which I licenced and completely funded because that was the
> only way to see a digi established) now has that honour. There was
> nobody else around here with whom to converse when I established my
> gateway. The nearest aprs station was 350km away in Newcastle. Although
> aprs is starting to spread its wings, there is still nobody else around
> here with whom to converse.

I commend you on your efforts, and for me and probably yourself, the
reward is when someone passes through your area and makes use of the
facilities that you provide.
I've also funded VK2RBX-1, VK3RVL-1,VK3RON-1 and a temp digipeater
VK3WRM-1. Other locals have assisted with technical expertise and there
are many others I have thanked for their support in VK2, VK3 and VK5. We
also have a number of trackers here for local use.

> Not all states are as fortunate as VK3 when it comes to coordinating
> amateur radio infrastructure, including repeaters and aprs. I envy you guys.

All it takes is a little leadership, a lot of education, even more
cooperation and communication of those involved.

> Let's all take a step backwards on this one and encourage aprs
> development, but let's not flame what individuals are trying to do with
> possibly limited resources and maybe a less than supportive spouse who
> prefers food and clothes over aprs.

I agree with you Ray, less "finger pointing" and more hand shaking would
have resolved the problem I "exposed".

Lets put this one to bed.

Thanks to all for your efforts and input.

Regards,
Ron VK3ECV/VK3WRM