[OZAPRS] Why doesn't Northern Tasmania gate VK3 callsigns?

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sun Feb 14 16:50:45 EST 2010

Hi All,

Please consider.

Given that all Igates are provided by individuals, at their own expense,
are we (the travelling amateur) not expecting too much when we expect
remarkable coverage without contributing financially to the set up and
ongoing operation of these facilities?

As a BBS sysop for over a decade, and a current VHF, HF and Satellite
Igate, I think I can speak for most providers of such facilities when I
say that we enjoy providing a service and we don't expect financial
compensation. However, users of those facilities should realise that we
also have lives outside amateur radio and, sometimes, circumstances
prevent provision of the service we provide. If most sysops are like me
they hate the service being out of service, but such is often beyond our
control.

I can't speak for VK7 but in my corner of VK2 I was aprs for a long
time, being the northern-most aprs station in this state. My local digi,
vk2rmc-1 (which I licenced and completely funded because that was the
only way to see a digi established) now has that honour. There was
nobody else around here with whom to converse when I established my
gateway. The nearest aprs station was 350km away in Newcastle. Although
aprs is starting to spread its wings, there is still nobody else around
here with whom to converse.

Not all states are as fortunate as VK3 when it comes to coordinating
amateur radio infrastructure, including repeaters and aprs. I envy you guys.

Let's all take a step backwards on this one and encourage aprs
development, but let's not flame what individuals are trying to do with
possibly limited resources and maybe a less than supportive spouse who
prefers food and clothes over aprs.

Ray vk2tv