[OZAPRS] smart meters ?

Darryl Smith darryl at radio-active.net.au
Sat Dec 11 11:58:11 EST 2010

I know my computers were running close to the 300-400W each. They had dual redundant power supplies rated at 700W, and were running 3 or 5 x SCSI 10K RPM HDD's and dual Xenon CPU's. For reference I replaced the two dual processor boxes with a  single Core 2 Duo E7500 machine (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=36503). This is *NOT* server quality, but I accept that. This is for home for a firewall and application server and to try things out on. If the main board dies, I replace it. I bought a main board with video on board. Most of the time the video is in text mode for VMWare so there should be almost no speed decrease because of this. Given that this computer is about six years newer than the DELL's, I had a speed increase too.

When looking for netbooks, keep an eye out on places like Sam's Warehouse and the like.

If you visit aliexpress.com you can get a netbook for under $100 including postage. This is a 7" screen and runs windows CE or linux with a 300 MHz processor. 1 GHz processor and XP or Linux will be about $150 + $35 postage. For those that are unaware, Alibaba is sort of like eBay for Business. You can buy anything there. Aliexpress is like a Buy It Now for Alibaba, where many of the products are available for samples.

Darryl

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 Int] - 02 9618 6459
www.radio-active.net.au/blog/<http://www.radio-active.net.au/blog/> - www.radio-active.net.au/<http://www.radio-active.net.au/>