[OZAPRS] smart meters ?

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Sat Dec 11 10:47:12 EST 2010

On 11/12/2010, at 8:56 AM, Tony King wrote:

> Hi Darryl
>
> I run a few computers here, most resurrected from garage sales and other peoples cast offs. Most seem to have  a 300 to 400 watt power consumption not counting the monitors. I would suspect however that this saves more global energy by recycling than being able to buy lots of new low power systems, not to say I wouldn't buy them if I could afford it . Better if the energy was saved at my end but you have to be realistic about energy consumption globally.

Stupid question perhaps, but are you sure they're actually *consuming* that 300-400 watt? or are you just going by their PSU?  Back when I was working for a colo centre we used to figure 150W for a normal server (P3/Celeron, 1HDD), and 300W for a decent server (P4/xeon, 3 HDD's).

Cheers,

DG

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust