[OZAPRS] smart meters ?

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sat Dec 11 10:38:31 EST 2010

Tony,

That's not quite true about old (mechanical) meters; they did consume
energy continuously because there is a voltage coil that is permanently
energised (you need to know the voltage in order to measure watts).
However, the voltage coil, alone, does not cause the disc to rotate.
Therefore, the energy supplier carried the cost (to pass on in other ways).

Old polyphase meters were notorious for the voltage coil going open
circuit and the meter not registering energy consumption. This was
usually picked up at the next meter read due to sudden decreased
consumption and this triggered a visit to see why. I lost count of the
number of 'dead' polyphase meters I found when I was investigating
supply abnormality complaints.

One of the tasks performed by the section to which I was attached was
testing/calibrating kilowatt hour meters. This was performed over a
range of load levels to ensure accuracy.

Of all the meter tests that were a result of a complaint about 'high
bills', only one meter, over a five year period, was found to be reading
high. Generally, meters ran slow as they aged, so a complaint could
result in an even higher account due to a replacement meter working
correctly.

One investigation into decreased energy consumption, at a hotel, was
found to be a result of the consumer drilling a hole in the top of the
meter case and dropping a plastic knitting needle down onto the disc to
slow it down. The disc was quite well scored as a result. Another was
the neutral to the meter being cut, with a piece of spaghetti tubing
placed over the break. The bare ends were allowed to touch,
periodically, to avoid consumption dropping to zero. That was an
employee, and it cost him his job.

You mentioned monitors. I recently took two dead CRT monitors to the tip
(I don't have a garbage service) and was informed there is a (NSW)
government enforced $5.00 fee per monitor to leave them at the tip.
How's that for a hidden tax? I wonder how many dead monitors will now be
given swimming lessons?

Ray vk2tv