[OZAPRS] Alinco 635 TNC

Richard Murnane Richard.Murnane at internode.on.net
Mon Aug 2 22:12:44 EST 2010

Hi Damien, and Steve,

>> Your beacon text can be anything you like, of course, but am I to
>> understand
>> that you are using a tone squelch on receive? I'm not aware of APRS
>> node
>> sending out such a tone.
>
> Isn't that standard for 'voice alert'?  transmit using 91.5Hz CTCSS,
> APRS
> modem receives not using CTCSS, but audio output to *you* only gets
> heard if
> the tone is there.. - means you know when there's another station
> within
> local range, so you can call and have a yarn (after organising another
> frequency) while you're on the road :)

Fair enough (I've never used Voice Alert, and I'm not familiar with
the Alinco unit.) I thought that maybe the TNC wasn't hearing any
audio because of the tone squelch.

As for getting into a gateway, I see from aprs.fi that your POO-1 digi
is getting in ok, so maybe it's a hardware issue. Listen to the audio
on another rig to see if there's any obvious distortion. A complete
lack of audio would do it too! :-)

Your settings look broadly ok to me, but as an experiment you might
try changing the "gpslj" to "aprs", just in case some digi on the way
is balking at the "GPSxxx" bit. I wouldn't expect this to be the case,
but it's worth a try.

73 Richard VK2SKY