[OZAPRS] rf earth

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Tue Apr 27 20:09:24 EST 2010

Paul, et al,

The experience that Paul and I bring to the forum highlight the
different thinking and experience of well-experienced individuals.

There are as many differences as there are similarities with RF,
electrical and lightning protection earthing, which takes us back to a
previous suggestion of mine, SIAS.

There is no one size fits all solution. Some will argue for a particular
lightning protection scheme for a base site and others will attest to a
catastrophic failure when using that scheme. A ground plane with most of
most elements missing because of a direct hit is convincing evidence
that the "correct" procedures don't always work. There is nothing to
protect against a direct strike.

Unlike lightning and electrical earthing, RF also involves resonant
lengths that can render an installation ineffective.

Do what you can within your resources, but remember, safety first. If
you don't know, ask. To quote a saying from the broadcasting industry,
if in doubt, don't.

Paul, thanks for your considered contribution.

Ray vk2tv