[OZAPRS] rf earth

Paul Mullins pmullins at adam.com.au
Tue Apr 27 05:32:41 EST 2010

Rf earths are a weird thing to play with.
Single driven into the ground stakes just is not enough .
What I have done here at home is to use 4 earth stacks as far as part as
possible and then dug a trench to each earth stake, using some bare copper
wire connect all stakes together and bury the bare copper wire this will
give a much better "earth" just means some digging, if you are in an area of
a fine crop of rocks pegging down the wires on top does sort of work but not
as good as direct bury .
I have about 40 meters of 6 mm2 cable and stakes, keep one stake as close as
possible to your radio gear and run a good sized wire to connect it, if you
use a big buss system for connection use one wire from one radio to the
common buss, you should never connect two items on the same common earth.

My RF earth is heaps better than my mains earth, mains earth was near 1 ohm,
and the rf earth was less than half of that, plus it does get better when
water is added.

I do have a pdf some where of earthing and ground loops if people what it,
it's a good read.

Cheers

Paul