[OZAPRS] rf earth

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Apr 26 10:31:20 EST 2010

Ben,

As with earthing for any purpose, aim for the lowest possible impedance.
A single stake, or even multiple stakes, would rarely qualify as a
"good" earth, particularly in typical soil, whatever that is!

Techniques that we used at the country council for both electrical
safety and lightning protection earthing include laying 25mm x 3mm
copper strap in shallow trenches or, more commonly, a drilled 50mm hole
as deep as possible to carry a heavy (typically >35mm²) copper
conductor. The hole was then pumped with a Bentonite/clay slurry to
ensure good contact with both the conductor and the sides of the hole as
the Bentonite expanded. At one remote radio site I looked after, we had
earthing points at the base of the 63m tower and at each of the 6 guy
points. We used the drilled hole method and each hole went down 80ft.
The individual earth points were tied together with heavy conductor in
shallow trenches. We achieved about 1 ohm and that was in poor,
rocky/gravelly ground. We also had an earthing gang and the equipment to
be able to carry out that work.

All of the above is fine for electrical safety and lightning protection
but *may* be useless for RF where resonant lengths can come into play.
If the length of conductor to the first earth point is an odd multiple
of a quarter wavelength, from an RF perspective, the earth is virtually
useless at that frequency. The gauge of conductor in use being
irrelevant in that case.

In broadcasting service, a typical earth mat under a vertical radiating
element comprises buried conductors, each a quarter wavelength long and
spaced every 2.5 degrees around the vertical.

Since few of us are able to achieve effective RF earthing, my advice is
to use the SIAS (Suck It And See) method using resources that fit your
circumstances. Regardless, I believe that multiple earth stakes and
bonding everything together with heavy conductor is sound methodology.

Ray vk2tv