[OZAPRS] Igate appliance instead of a PC

Michael Carey michaelcarey at internode.on.net
Tue Apr 20 17:57:47 EST 2010

Hi Everybody,
I've just experienced a power failure, it appears to have been storm
related up in the north of SA... pretty pictures on the BOM web page
from the Woomera radar.
Anyway, while virtually all my shack equipment runs on 12V and my backup
battery system worked a treat. Even my network wiring closet has battery
backup for the routers, modems, VOIP box, network switch, etc.

The VK5ZEA Igate machine does not run on DC. It has a UPS which keeps
things going for a little while... but this only lasts for so long.
I've been toying with getting a 12V ATX power supply for the PC to run
off my 250Ah battery system, but have been wondering if there is a more
efficient way to run an Igate than on a PC.
Is it possible to provide simple Igate functionality on a router like
device? Even a fanless 12V mini ITX machine might be better. I've only
had experience with using UIView as my Igate... is there a solid and
reliable Linux solution that just works and can work on a basic spec PC?

Michael.
VK5ZEA