[OZAPRS] Ron Graham VK4BRG APRS TINY software

Ron Graham ron at ramblin.info
Wed Sep 30 09:38:27 EST 2009

I built a number of variants of those devices in that era .. see comments
below ..

>I have a old APRS TINY, the one that the Motorola oncore GPS piggy backs
>onto, that I want to resurrect ,but don't have the doco any more.
>

>Questions:
>What software do I program the call sign etc with? I thought it was
>tinytrackII,exe

The PIC is probably programmed initially with TT version 1 .. thus (from
memory) TT II.exe will not work with it .. you need TT I.exe to program
your callsign etc. Its probably still on Byrons, N6?? web site .. if not, I
should still have a copy.

>Where to I connect the cable? The DB9 or the 3 pin header on the board?

Either. If a DB9 is fitted, it should interface directly to a serial port.
If you have a problem, trace out the wiring to the 3 pin socket.
Verify pin 1 to PIC pin 3 (maybe via a 10K resistor) .. PIC data in. Pin 2
to PIC pin 2 .. PIC data out. Pin 3 ground.
Later versions used a 4 pin socket here .. with pin 4 connected, via a
jumper, to +5 V for powering a 5V GPS RX.

Any problems, just give a yell.

Regards, Ron, VK4BRG.