[OZAPRS] sgates

Gavin Rogers grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au
Fri Sep 25 01:59:19 EST 2009

Norm, VK3XCI wrote:
> Before I invest time and effort in setting a
> satgate up for ISS, how many do we have, who are
> they and is it worth my time? It would be really
> simple with a wiiiide IF 2M rig (so no doppler),
> Omni antenna and a KISS tnc on Xastir

I'm running one here in VK6 with a magmount 5/8 wave antenna on the
pergola, feeding a longer-than-it-should-be length of RG58 into a FM900
(12.5KHz IF - all I had spare). A real junkbox satgate!

I'm going to replace the radio with something a little more sensitive
and see if I get a better decode rate - only receiving 1 or 2 ISS beacon
packets per pass... I reckon I can do better :)

73
Gavin.

--

       Gavin Rogers                     |  Amateur radio station VK6HGR
     http://www.livingwaters.com/good   |     http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
                MSN/Skype/Email: grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au