[OZAPRS] Nubie

Craig Turner craig at craigturner.id.au
Sun Sep 20 11:05:26 EST 2009

Yes, thats right, no need for any email groups or other ways of finding
information. Lets shut this list down. Its all on google.

We should be happy that this guy has asked somewhere for information.

Additionally, have you considered, that being new to APRS, he was asking
a question as a way of introducing himself and getting some discussion
going? Its a very common way for people to try to find their way into a
group, particularly if the group can, at times, be a bit elitist.

By giving a bullshit answer, all you've done is opened him up to getting
berated for using an inappropriate path setting by local amateurs, and
discouraging him from asking again for any assistance.

Andrew, you may be technically quite knowledgable, but you seem to be
socially inept. If you have a disdane for someone seeking knowledge keep
it to your self. Either contribute and help, or shut up.

To the original poster, if you haven't worked it out, Andrews suggestion
is the path most likely to aggrevate the APRS community. Initially try
WIDE1-1, WIDE2-1.

Until the Australian aprs website is fixed up, try http://www.aprs.org/
which has a wealth of information, although it is not an Australian
website.

Have a read about the logic of the path settings and how digipeaters
work with paths, and then you'll be able to work out if the path
suggested above is the most appropriate for you. Always better to
understand why you are using a particualr setting rather than doing it
because its what you were told.

Cheers
Craig