[OZAPRS] Political messages via APRS

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sat Oct 3 15:26:02 EST 2009

Darryl,

This is a misconception.

Under the Charter of the United Nations, freedom of expression is a
universal human right and Australia is a signatory.

There is nothing in the LDC that specifically prohibits discussion on
politics, religion, any topic you choose, just as there is nothing to
prevent the use of the most offensive of four letter words in amateur
communication. The Amateur's Code may throw a different shade of light
on how we should behave, but it's not in the law or the LDC. The Federal
Attorney general has confirmed in writing that Australian Amateurs are
guaranteed freedom of expression. The question was asked of the Attorney
General by a retired Magistrate, David Taylor, G4EBT.

The term "intercommunications" has no boundaries or restrictions. From
the Macquarie Dictionary, Intercommunicate - to communicate. The ACMA
frequently refers to the Macquarie for definitions when dealing with
investigations into broadcasting stations for breach of the relevant
Codes of Practice for their sector - commercial, community, SBS and ABC.

Perhaps the LDC should be more specific, but that would place it in
opposition with Australian Human Rights Legislation, and that would make
specific prohibitions illegal.

We have an interesting situation in the community radio sector when it
comes to offensive content. Our Codes of Practice, which we are legally
bound to abide by (they are enforced by the ACMA), require that we
oppose censorship. That same section of the CoP, however, requires us to
"consider our community interest, context, degree of explicitness, the
possibility of alarming the listener, the potential for distress or
shock, prevailing indigenous laws or community standards and the social
importance of the broadcast." So, we can, but we can't, but we can! Even
though our listening base is, particularly at night, older people who
are more likely to be offended, shocked, etc, we hold a general
community licence and therefore must cater to the entire community. But
there's another gotcha. We can't play offensive music in a time slot
that suits younger listeners because another code says we have to
protect children from harmful influences.

I certainly wouldn't want to see the amateur service encumbered by such
a convoluted rule.

What would I do at the end of the day? Take Darryl's advice and, also be
considerate of other amateurs.

Ray vk2tv