[OZAPRS] Sydney NW repeater

Richard Murnane Richard.Murnane at internode.on.net
Thu Nov 12 12:42:26 EST 2009

Hi all,

On 12/11/2009, at 4:16 AM, Gerard Hill wrote:

> Recently there was a WICEN exercise and a temporary repeater
> (VK2RWK-1) was set up off the national frequency at Kurrajong
> Heights, 50km NW of the area. This definitely improved coverage,
> especially on the western edge, but it is too far away to be
> considered "local". And unfortunately, its not permanent or even on
> the right frequency.

WICEN chose to use 145.200 instead of the "right" frequency to avoid
any impact on normal APRS operators (or vice versa). It was the first
time we used APRS on the event (the Hawkesbury Canoe Classic), so
everyone thought it best not to tempt fate by using the same channel.
Peter Mudie ran an I-gate, so net control was able to monitor
movements using http://aprs.fi

I think this was the right decision, as there was a lot of traffic
during the event (if anyone would like to replay my UI-View log files
to see how busy it was, email me and I'll be happy to send you a
copy). The main net might well have coped with it without any trouble,
but nobody was sure. As it happens we were tracking only four vehicles
(two boats, two cars), but also doing a lot of messaging using the MEX
program.

But Gerard, your point is well made: there are still "holes" around
Sydney that need filling. There's another one around Ryde to Homebush.

73 Richard VK2SKY