[OZAPRS] Tiny trak 4 help please

Michael Wain vk3hau at bigpond.net.au
Tue Nov 3 12:15:34 EST 2009

Hello Paul,

I don't have a TT4 yet but have been following the tinytrak4 yahoogroups and
one member was having the same problem, here is the posts sent to the group,
also I belive you can run  the GPS on the SEC port ( port B ) and the PC on
the PRIM port ( port A ), I have two TT3 and will buy a TT4 very soon. 73's
Michael Wain VK3HAU.

POST From nerdmedic......................................
I have a TT4 working very nicely with a VX-170 for the radio and a Magellan
SporTrak Pro for the GPS (using the Y-cable to J2 and a cable that I
fabricated for the radio/power connection). It is doing everything it is
supposed to do with respect to APRS using the 0.60 release of the firmware
and it really made my day when my icon appeared on the aprs.fi site earlier
this afternoon.

I also have a 44780 compatible 4x20 display and keyboard connected and the
configuration and text message functionality appear to work normally as I
can press F5 and configure the TT4 and I also get the expected responses to
F1, F3 and F4. Similarly, the computer interface works fine as I can enter
the three quick ESC commands after I boot up and get into the configuration,
monitor or calibrate modes using a laptop computer.

So my question is what "live" data can I display on the LCD display? If
possible, I would like to see the position reports as they roll in or
perhaps just the GPS stream. I don't seem to be able to make that happen -
when the TT4 boots up, I get the version banner but that is all the data I
get on the display. Pressing F2 has no apparent effect and I have reviewed
the README for the v0.60 firmware and tried all the settings that seem like
they might be involved but I have not been successful in displaying any raw
or formatted information. I can, however, press F5 and get into
configuration or press F4 and get into the messaging function.

It occurs to me that perhaps this is not possible with this configuration
but it could also just be a setting that I don't understand or have set
wrong. Any assistance will be hugely appreciated.

Regards,

paul

END of POST

POST from Mohd Hamid
Misnan......................................................................
On Oct 31, 2009, at 7:35 AM, nerdmedic wrote:

> So my question is what "live" data can I display on the LCD display?
> If possible, I would like to see the position reports as they roll
> in or perhaps just the GPS stream. I don't seem to be able to make
> that happen - when the TT4 boots up, I get the version banner but
> that is all the data I get on the display. Pressing F2 has no
> apparent effect and I have reviewed the README for the v0.60
> firmware and tried all the settings that seem like they might be
> involved but I have not been successful in displaying any raw or
> formatted information. I can, however, press F5 and get into
> configuration or press F4 and get into the messaging function.

I believe that your TT4 couldn't decode any packets it heard, hence,
no "live" data displayed on the LCD. Play around with all the receive
settings (RXAMP, CDMODE, CDLEVEL).. or tune your RXAMP using MONITOR
command.

END of POST

POST from Lynn W. Derrenbaugh (Mr)....................................

My thoughts exactly. Are you getting a solid yellow light at all? The
solid yellow is a decode and the flashing yellow is carrier detect and
delay. If yellow never lights up, you're way off the mark. If you get
flashing yellow, you're getting closer. When you get more solid yellow
than flashing yellow, you've almost arrived. However, in my experience
with the variety of deviations and emphasis floating around on RF,
you'll never get only solid yellows, so don't be disappointed.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - TT4 as KJ4ERJ-7 (TT4) and KJ4ERJ-2 (javAPRSsrvr
digi/Igate via the TT4)

END of POST

try reducing the volume of the radio until you start getting decodes.if the
volume is too high it will no decode ar if it is too low the same will
happen