[OZAPRS] Finally got the HF mobile working in the 4WD- Off toAlice28th May

Brian Beamish dinkum at optusnet.com.au
Wed May 20 16:47:20 EST 2009

Hi David

Have been reading all the recent mails with interest I have been using a
IC706 MK1 with a remote head for years now in its third car together with an
Icom AH-4 Tuner and 8 foot whip works well on all bands regardless where I
work. Each install has come up with its own problems but with a little work
and effort all have been eventually been resolved keeping all leads as short
as possible, location of the tuner and antenna as far away from the
transceiver as possible/practical and taking particular care with grounding
usually solves most if not all the problems.

Just for interest when camping I have a 15m length of wire that I just threw
up in the nearest tree when Out Back with no trees I just threw it across
the ground it worked well have even connected it to a wire fence with some
success. This 15m of wire is just attached to the top of the 8 foot whip
with a suitable clip and the AH-4 tunes it up well.

I realise that you can only work 40m give me the frequency you will use
together with the dates that you will be away and when possible I will turn
on the HF to Internet gateway here that I use at times when on the odd
occasion Des VK4DMI is down.

Have a great trip

73 Brian VK4BBS