[OZAPRS] Contest SSB

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sun Mar 29 07:54:41 EST 2009

Hello Philip and all,

Your posting has had me thinking and it raises a few questions.

I've been running a 40m BBS on 7035.8 for some time. Daytime BBS traffic
can be quite intense with forwarding to two other BBS's, plus user
activity. Since I use USB I'm wondering if I'm causing any problems due
to proximity to your aprs frequency. My two tones would fall on 7037.4
and 7037.6. I run about 35W to a dipole that is end-on to you guys, and
is mounted high enough that it would be starting to be directional.
Probably of more concern is if the VK guys on aprs are "hearing" me as a
problem, because the antenna favours NNE/SSW, looking at VK4, VK3 and
eastern VK2.

I used to operate a bit lower but I received a request from some VK4 to
move because I was clobbering their week signal work into Europe. I
obliged by shifting the crystal as high as it would go.

Looking at band plans, 7.030 to 7.040 is for data/packet according to
the WIA plan. I see that ZL is currently the same but there is a
proposal to move to 7.050 to 7.070 (I wish them luck shifting an
established aprs net!).

The Region 1 band plan differs from Region 3, hence the clash with the
VK4's.

If I am observed to be causing problems I am prepared to purchase
another crystal and move a tad higher  (7038 would place my high tone
200Hz inside the top end of the data/packet segment) and being USB it
would steer well clear of aprs using LSB on 7036. All other station have
frequency agility so a move by me would not present a problem.

BTW, my current crystal will not shift that far. It's a commercial spec
crystal operating to commercial spec in a commercial rig.

I await comment from Philip and the VK guys using 7.036.

Ray vk2tv