[OZAPRS] HF APRS- I am the tag-along-tour bloke

David and Justine Olsen davejust at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 27 12:07:41 EST 2009

Ray

I've had a bit of a rethink about 20m for HF APRS in Australia and
believe 40m would serve us better.
Most people who want to use APRS on HF will be traveling in remote
areas away from VHF coverage. While 10 MHz provides good coverage of
the Australian mainland for much of the day, 14 MHz gives poorer
coverage for much of the day when accessing an iGate on the
Australian mainland from remote areas of Australia. Given that my
original idea was to provide standard calls who travel remotely (such
as I do for 5 months of the year) access to HF APRS, I feel 7 MHz is
the way to go, as it gives more continuous coverage of the Australian
mainland from remote areas of Australia.

I will therefore be setting up my iGate on 40m (7MHz) and would
encourage others who wish to provide HF APRS coverage for remote
travelers with standard calls, to do the same. I also intend to
provide an iGate for Satellite on 145.875 at the same location, and
that is currently being tested.

David
VK4MDX