[OZAPRS] HF Gateways

Jamie Campbell - VK2YCJ vk2ycj at bravo.net.au
Thu Jun 25 13:23:06 EST 2009

Phillip,

Thanks for the update and suggestion on Codan units.  That's a good idea,
and with the extra power it's likely to make it a bit easier for the mobile
station with noise and interference in the mobile environment.

A group of us here in the Hunter Valley (near Newcastle) were inspired by a
recent article in the WIA AR Magazine which discussed magnetic loop antennas
for HF.  We are building a unit to test that will work well on 40m and good
on 80m.  Fixed frequency operation on a magnetic loop is a good thing
because they tend to be very narrow in bandwidth and thus require a slightly
complicated tuning method (split stator capacitor, motors, insulated shafts
etc.).

The one we're building is 10m in circumference and is made of 75mm copper
pipe.  Indeed a bit of an overkill in pipe diameter, but that was the pipe
we had on hand.  The magnetic loop modelling software suggests a maximum of
about 1/3 of a wavelength circumference for optimum results.  That's about
13.3m on 40m and the model gives very good efficiencies and a sensible value
tuning capacitor.

Our understanding is that having a sharply tuned antenna will give us
significant benefits on receive - less noise, more selective, better
lightning noise immunity etc.

There is a mobile version available too which is a half-loop design mounted
on a car roof rack.  It boasts NVIS radiation characteristics (near vertical
incident scattering) which could be a heap more useful in a car than a low
angle of radiation whip.

Anyway, the antenna is almost ready for testing and we should have it under
test in the next few weeks.  Once that is done and we know it's
characteristics we can do some more thinking about APRS.

Thanks for your input ...

Jamie Campbell
vk2ycj at bravo.net.au

You'll never reach your greatest potential if you walk
past the dishwasher without emptying it or leave your
costume on the bathroom floor.

(Nancy-Bird Walton, Australian Aviatrix, 1915-2009)