[OZAPRS] OpenStreetMap Shapefiles available.

Carl Makin carl at stagecraft.cx
Sat Jul 4 22:39:07 EST 2009

Evening All,
I haven't seen this mentioned around.  A company in Germany called
GEOFABRIK are processing the OSM data nightly into shapefiles and
making them freely available at;

http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/

I've grabbed the Australia-oceania set which is about 70MB zipped.
I've got it running with an instance of Xastir on FreeBSD and a dbfawk
file custom built for it and it's quite good.

Worth a look, especially for those of us outside of North America
which is all most of the online maps cover.

Carl.
(vk1kcm)