[OZAPRS] Problem getting Tinytrak 3 going

Richard Murnane Richard.Murnane at internode.on.net
Thu Jul 2 19:46:02 EST 2009

Mark Cheeseman wrote:

> It transmits a couple of packets when first powered up, and then
> nothing, unless I unplug the GPS, whereupon is transmits something
> (I haven't had a chance to try to decode it to see what the packets
> are).
>
> Any ideas where I should start looking for the problem?

The initial packets are usually like this:

	2009-07-02 19:33:35 EST:
VK2SKY-9>APT311,VK2US-1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,VK2IN-5:>TinyTrak3 v1.1  Software
Id
	2009-07-02 19:33:40 EST:
VK2SKY-9>APT311,VK2BTQ-1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,VK2IN-5:>vk2sky at wia.org.au	Your
beacon text
	2009-07-02 19:34:28 EST:
VK2SKY-9>SS41P5,VK2BTQ-1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,VK2IN-5:`O^<0x1c>l <0x1c>>/"5i}
Position beacon (compressed)

Of course, the first two packets do nothing to locate you on aprs.fi

If the GPS light is on solid (and assuming it did flash for a while
after power on), then your GPS data is getting in OK.

Is the "channel busy" LED on? It won't beacon positions until the
channel is clear. For some reason, the first two beacons seem to get
sent regardless of the channel state (on my unit anyway).

73 Richard VK2SKY