[OZAPRS] Re: Foundation calls gentle reminder

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Thu Feb 19 08:06:35 EST 2009

Kim,

If you want help to upgrade your licence there are better ways to go
about it than complaining here that you're poorly done by. Try asking!

The Foundation licence was introduced as a stepping stone to get people
involved in amateur radio at a VERY basic level, and it has achieved
that objective quite well, and to the satisfaction of hundreds of
foundation licencees. If you think you should be able to drive heavy
articulated vehicles when you only have a learner's permit, lobby your
local politician.

Kim Hawtin wrote:
> Afternoon all,
>
> Garry VK2UNI wrote:
>
>> This link might be of assistance
>>
>> http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/0/CC456ED0C4803869CA2573F4001B9F93?OpenDocument
>>

> So the irony is that you can do more on the CB data channels without a license than you can do under the amateur foundation license.

Then perhaps you'd be happier go there?
> Page 19 outlines the restrictions, but is unclear on reception? ;
> "27A     Restrictions on operation of an amateur foundation station
>     (2) The licensee of an amateur licence (amateur foundation station) must not
>         operate an amateur station using automatic mode or computer controlled
>         mode."

Nothing unclear about that, if you take into consideration the entire
document, and not just isolated bits.
> There is some contradiction in the aforementioned document about being able to use a digital
> means, but not in a computer controlled way;
>
> Page 26;
> "Signal modulating the main carrier is a single channel containing quantized or digital
>  information without the use of a modulating sub carrier"
>
> One could assume this means CW?

That's exactly what it could mean. Given that binary information has two
levels, on or off, CW is a form od binary information, carrier on,
carrier of. Look up the definition of quantise (or quantize) in the
Macquarie.
> Looks like this forbids the amateur foundation license of beacons and iambic keyers too =(
> Or in fact, most modern radios. Yes anything with an LCD. Digital tuners too perhaps?
> So any handheld? Where do you draw the line... ?

You draw the line at not being ridiculous and not trying to introduce
red herrings into your arguement. The LCD has nothing to do with the
construction of the equipment, it's about the MODES you are permitted to
use and the way you can'can't use them.
> It seems to me that the foundation license is aimed to introduce younger folk into Amateur Radio,
> in part this works. Once, however, you actually figure out what you are allowed to used, its
> only voice/phone/telephony.

That's correct and it suits the majority of Foundation Licencees. More
modes means more study and that defeats the simplicity of the licence
although, to some, the study is already seriously difficult.
> Its been a digital age for a long time now. Has been since I was a kid 30 years ago, I've used
> computers in some form or another, along with a plethora of digital communications to go with.

And the vast majority of amateur communications is analogue. Digital
modes are still a small percentage of amateur operations.
> Its seems odd to me that there is no provision at all for any kind of digital modes in the
> foundation license...

That's correct and it was structured that way to keep it easy to get the
licence.
> I've been licensed only for a year, and sure I am studying up for a Standard license, but
> other foundation licensed folks I know have given it away in that time, because they can do
> more in ISM bands, cheaper with less effort, with out a license. It takes a lot of patience
> to find out all the info about whats actually going on. Perhaps the most frustrating thing
> is that most amateurs don't know what foundation licensed amateurs can and can't do under
> the terms.

Good on you for studying, that's how you'll get digital privileges. If
you think you can do more in the ISM bands perhaps you'dbe happier
there. Many people would disagree with you, however. Just the consider
the number of bands that are available, even to Foundation Licencees -
there's really only one for CB - 27MHz. UHF CB is not an ISM band). ISM
- Industrial, Scientific & Medical.

Of course it takes patience, don't you think we know that. Do you think
you're the first licencee that wants more privileges than the licence
permits? Most of us started somewhere down the ladder and worked our way
up. You just have to have the determination to get where you want to go.

And how many amateurs have you asked about their knowledge of the
Foundation Licence. Given that there is now about 18,000 licencees in
Australia, your use of the word "most" would suggest you've asked at
least 9,000. You haven't asked me.

> I'm not suggesting any folks on this list need to do anything about this, except perhaps
> some encouragement and support for foundation licensed amateurs to move on up to standard
> licenses...

You'll get help if you ask.
> I started this journey because I wanted to work on packet, low power mobile gear and build
> my own gear. One out of three... =) More study... I'll get there, I'm sure.
> Just a shame to loose a lot of bright young folks along the way.

That's fine but you have to work within the framework.

If we lose "bright young folks" because they're required to study,
perhaps they were heading down ther wrong track anyway.

Let's see, I got great results in first class at school, so where's my
University Degree!