[OZAPRS] Re: Foundation calls gentle reminder

Kim Hawtin kim at hawtin.net.au
Wed Feb 18 17:21:09 EST 2009

Afternoon all,

Garry VK2UNI wrote:
> This link might be of assistance
>
> http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/0/CC456ED0C4803869CA2573F4001B9F93?OpenDocument

So the irony is that you can do more on the CB data channels without a license than you can do under the amateur foundation license.

Page 19 outlines the restrictions, but is unclear on reception? ;
"27A     Restrictions on operation of an amateur foundation station
    (2) The licensee of an amateur licence (amateur foundation station) must not
        operate an amateur station using automatic mode or computer controlled
        mode."

There is some contradiction in the aforementioned document about being able to use a digital
means, but not in a computer controlled way;

Page 26;
"Signal modulating the main carrier is a single channel containing quantized or digital
 information without the use of a modulating sub carrier"

One could assume this means CW?

Looks like this forbids the amateur foundation license of beacons and iambic keyers too =(
Or in fact, most modern radios. Yes anything with an LCD. Digital tuners too perhaps?
So any handheld? Where do you draw the line... ?

It seems to me that the foundation license is aimed to introduce younger folk into Amateur Radio,
in part this works. Once, however, you actually figure out what you are allowed to used, its
only voice/phone/telephony.

Its been a digital age for a long time now. Has been since I was a kid 30 years ago, I've used
computers in some form or another, along with a plethora of digital communications to go with.

Its seems odd to me that there is no provision at all for any kind of digital modes in the
foundation license...

I've been licensed only for a year, and sure I am studying up for a Standard license, but
other foundation licensed folks I know have given it away in that time, because they can do
more in ISM bands, cheaper with less effort, with out a license. It takes a lot of patience
to find out all the info about whats actually going on. Perhaps the most frustrating thing
is that most amateurs don't know what foundation licensed amateurs can and can't do under
the terms.

I'm not suggesting any folks on this list need to do anything about this, except perhaps
some encouragement and support for foundation licensed amateurs to move on up to standard
licenses...

I started this journey because I wanted to work on packet, low power mobile gear and build
my own gear. One out of three... =) More study... I'll get there, I'm sure.
Just a shame to loose a lot of bright young folks along the way.

cheers,

Kim VK5FNET