[OZAPRS] To Run UI-View with a GPS on my laptop?

Jim Hiley jim at c-com.com.au
Wed Feb 11 12:50:20 EST 2009

Rob,
I assume you purchased the USB to serial adapter from Byonics. A
normal generic adapter won't supply the 5V to pin 4 that the GPS needs.

Assuming Windows XP:
Check you port number in Device Manager. It is unlikely to be com2.
If it is a port above com8, you can change it  by going to
Properties/Port Settings/Advanced.

Jim  VK7JH

At 12:04 11/02/2009, you wrote:
>Hi all, Can any one help with a difficulty I have. I'm trying to run
>UI-View with a GPS on my laptop. I have a Byonics type GPS, as I
>have to this date mainly used a TinyTrak3. What I have when I plug
>in the GPS and run UI-View is the red light flashing on the GPS
>which indicates the device hasn't locked on to any of the
>Satellites. The UI-View page doesn't indicate anything. I have
>downloaded a driver from the Byonics web site to allow interface of
>USB on the laptop to 9 pin serial plug on the GPS. The steps I have
>taken with UI-View are; Main page sellected
>SETUP                            GPS
>SETUP                            Baud Rate
>4800                            Set PC clock From
>GPS                            Enable Offset 10
>Hrs                            Show GPS Cross-hairs
>(celected)                            Com Port set to 2 All other
>settings are defalt. I have a  HP COMPAQ and I'm not certain the USB
>port I'm using is configed to be Com Port 2, this is something which
>I find difficult to set up; I guess it's easy, when you know how.
>Any thoughts? 73's Rob Heyer

Jim Hiley VK7JH
jim at c-com.com.au